It is January 1st, 2010 and I'm six days away from an ACL reconstruction in my left knee. Someone asked me if I'm nervous about it, looming in the future, but I don't know how to feel about it. I guess that's how I feel about a lot of things now, nothing. I know the general range of emotions should range from anticipation to nervousness, but I don't feel anything. I do want to be at full strength as I'm always aware of my knee's instability. Watching people exercise at the gym, watching them jog by my car in the mornings on my way to work, I realize how much I value being able to use my legs.
My physical therapist Dave and my doctors have all told me about the importance of maintaining a strict exercise and stretching regiment after the surgery. I have to stretch and work the leg three times a day in addition to two physical training sessions a week. I don't know if I've ever attempted to dedicate myself to something so intense. The thought had crossed my mind that this could be the most difficult thing I've ever attempted. (A thought, in and of itself is pretty telling about my life.)
So this is the new year, and I don't feel any different. Maybe in 6 days. I do have a prescription for 75 pills of Percocet and 75 pills of Vicodin to go through.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment